Teague Documentary Update - Oct 2012

The Vanity Kodak of 1928. owned and photographed by Ralph London.


It's time for an update on the progress of the Walter D. Teague documentary. My last update was July 2011 when I returned from my research trips to New York City, Aspen, Oregon and Denver.  Well, the reality is that when classes start in September (being a full-time professor) I don't have much time to work on the doc at all.  But, in the fall, I worked with my industrial design students to recreate, digital models of some of Teague's greatest designs.  They painstakingly studied photographs and patent drawings to make these designs with Solidworks software. Kodak cameras, Steuben glass, and Sparton radios were re-created so that we can show them 3 dimensionally and animate them for the film!  It's going to look amazing!

The raw, unrendered Solidworks model of the Sparton Sled radio model 557 1936. Modeled by Sean Missal.

                 I was privileged to be able to attend and speak at the Walter Dorwin Teague exhibition opening in Waitsfield, Vermont on June 1st.  The show "His Life, Work and Influence" was organized by his granddaughter Allison Teague and ran through August 31st, 2012.   I was excited to find some items that I've never seen and some that I didn't know existed anymore.  Such as a beautiful drafting desk from the WDTA office in New York.  The treasure for me was to find Teague's handwritten diary from 1898 to 1899 (14 to 15 years old).  Allison was gracious enough to allow me to read it and transcribe it.  I will reveal some of the exciting new discoveries hidden within in the upcoming documentary. Here's some photos from the exhibition:

                Then, in July, I took an incredible road trip with my family along the coast of Oregon and California.  Our southern most stop was in San Diego, where I visited the Ford Tower in Balboa Park.  Designed by Walter D. Teague and his staff, based on a building by Albert Kahn. Built for the 1935 California Pacific International Exposition. See some of the photos here:  http://idsandbox.blogspot.com/2012/07/ford-tower-balboa-park-san-diego.html  While the building is interesting, in the Teague company archives, I found some photos of the exhibit on the inside even more fascinating.


                Lately, I connected with camera historian, Ralph London, who has a collection of Teague design himself. He photographed his 1928 Vanity Kodaks (all five colors) and sent them to me. (See the Facebook page)  I also found a precious little Baby Brownie of 1934 on eBay for my own.

               Another connection was made with a former designer who worked for Teague from 1953, Arch Drummond. Arch wrote some incredible stories for me about his experiences there, some of his design work, his relations with WDT, and a comprehensive story of the Boeing 707 design mock-up. You'll hear Arch's story of how the intense demands of working at WDTA nearly broke-up his marriage in the film.

                All through August and September has been research and script writing. My sabbatical began in September and I have been spending most of my time in the library, reading and working on the script, which is nearly complete. I am also in the midst of organizing and cataloguing all of the hundreds of photographs and many hours of interviews that I have so far.  I have finished reading and taking notes on about 160 articles about and by Walter D. Teague. Thanks to the TEAGUE office for scanning and collecting most of them in their archives. After 2 years and 7 months, I'm calling the research phase of this project over.

Could this be the book that inspired a young Walter D. Teague to study art?


New discovery! Teague says that he read a book on architecture in his high school library (about 1902) that inspired him to become an artist, but he doesn't say which one it was. I wanted to find out which book that was. The clues are; it's a general book on architecture, full of illustrations, it's published before 1902, and it covers gothic architecture. And I think that this is it: The Illustrated Handbook of Architecture by James Fergusson - 1855. Available on Google Books for free if you want to read it yourself. The illustrations are incredible!

                I'm aiming to finish in June of 2013 and will be submitting it to film festivals.  And, soon I will be putting together a Kickstarter fund raising campaign for the film.  I'll be sure to let you know about it.

Meanwhile, be sure to "Like" the Facebook page and get updates every week.

Thanks,

J. A. Morris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vehicle Designs of Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Variations on the Familiar

Furniture Design Exhibition Seattle - Western ID graduates 2022 - part 2

Furniture Design Exhibition - Western ID graduates 2022 - part 1