Kony is Very Real

Patrick (on bike) with his daughter (right) and neighborhood friend (left), escaped from Kony's, LRA.
In 2007 when I visited Hoima, Uganda to work with the local bicycle couriers on a new bicycle design, I met a young man, Patrick.  He worked for my mother as a handyman and groundskeeper and lived in a small home with his daughter, but he was not a local to Hoima.  He had escaped his hometown in Northern Uganda with his what was left of his family to Hoima.  He told us the story of the horror of Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army and how some of his family and friends had been murdered.  So he escaped with his daughter and fled as far south as he could travel before settling in Hoima.  Mark Hardin did a video interview with him, which I still have but haven't edited.  Having heard his eye witness account myself, this LRA and their leader Joseph Kony is very real.  However, you don't need to buy a kit of stickers and posters.  I've lost touch with my contacts in Uganda lately.  But it seems that the threat is not as high as it was.  And Patrick had returned to his hometown in Northern Uganda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vehicle Designs of Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Variations on the Familiar

Furniture Design Exhibition Seattle - Western ID graduates 2022 - part 2

Furniture Design Exhibition - Western ID graduates 2022 - part 1